Your Insurance "Out of Network" Benefit
For clients who do not have Blue Cross Blue Shield, you may still want to access your insurance for pay for your therapy. Many insurance companies cover this service as an "out of network" benefit. If so, you will still be responsible for contacting your insurance company, sending them any documents, and for any fees your insurance does not cover. Contact your insurance company to find out more about this benefit.
Call the member's telephone number on the back of your insurance card. Follow any prompts for "mental health" or "behavioral health" services, and/or prompts to speak with a live representative. Download a pdf of these questions, here.
Ask the following questions:
1. Do I have any “out of network” benefits for mental health therapy from a “Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker”?
2. What is my deductible?
3. How much have I met this year already?
4. Do I need to meet this deductible every year?
5. When does my benefit year end?
6. Do I have a copay or co-insurance amount?
7. What rate will you reimburse me for out-of-network benefits?
8. How many sessions can I have per year?
9. Do you need a diagnosis to cover this service?
10. What information and documents do you need from me in order to get reimbursed or to cover this service?
11. Do I need a referral from my doctor?
12. Do I need to call for pre-authorization before my first appointment? How do I do that?
13. Do I need anything else before my first appointment?
FREE Counseling through the State's Victim Compensation Fund
If you are a victim of crime (sexual assault, trafficking, domestic violence, etc), you may be able to have your counseling paid for through the Massachusetts Victim Compensation Fund. The process involves filling out their application. Even though it is a several month wait, if you are accepted their program reimburses for past counseling payments. You can find more information about this process on their website, and contact them with any questions.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about fees, payment, and insurance.